Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Missing Fifth Sibling!!!

When reading my posts, sometimes people who know some of the stories request to hear related ones not yet posted.
I was surprised to hear Jeff say, "What about the missing fifth sibling story?"
I had almost forgotten ...

Back in the days of Adak, those little girls would sometimes get into a little trouble ... even before Taber was in the mix.
Once, I remember a "spat" over a little toy gun. Kathy had it. I wanted it. She didn't want to give it up, but I was whining .. I mean, insistent. Her response? "Well, take it then!" At which point she chucked it in my general direction and it landed right over my left eye, requiring the one and only stitch I ever endured. I was terrified of the prospect of having "stitches", but my mother reminded me that I was very fortunate to have a father who could cut hair and for me to simply tell the doctor, "if you hurt me, my daddy will cut all your hair off!" While that makes absolutely no sense, she delivered in such a way that a five year old actually thought she was holding an ace when she met the doctor. I announced the proper threat and in short order, the deed was done.

Another episode involved those little girls deciding to do what is now known as a makeover for each other. There were scissors involved and one little girl lost her bangs (typical) and the other HER EYELASHES!!!! Take a look at Kathy and then me now .... she has the biggest, most beautiful eyes ... my lashes never did get full like hers. Can you imagine the horror of a four year old with scissors near the same left eyebrow of a five year old? Poor Mom.

Oh, but hold the violins folks. This is no average mutha!
She had a "brilliant plan..."

That brilliant and slightly diabolical plan was to reveal a deep, dark family secret to those two unruly girls. Once upon a time, you girls had (look left, look right, pause for effect) .... a sister! Her name was Sally. She was a beautiful child, shame you never met. She managed to well-up a little with croco-tears and told how Sally had just become too naughty. They had warned her and warned her over and over again, but she just could not behave.
So, one day, the gypsies came and for her own good, Sally was given away.
We don't hear from her now and it would be a shame if either or both of you should suffer the same fate.
Now to make sure this story was believable, she a produced a photograph of young mom and a young little girl (later revealed to be a family friend whom she was baby-sitting at the time.)

Gotta say, it worked. Just the mention of Sally's name shook us to the core and we straightened up and flew right ... I mean, between Sally and Santa ... you see my point, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment