Thursday, September 3, 2009

Love Letters





I know I'm telling the stories, because they need to be told ... but something wonderful has happened. I have found some evidence proving the stories, but more than that ... reliving that magical time. I found Love Letters! What is remarkable about them, beyond that they are dated 1960 and 49 years old, but that they have literally travelled the world! Mom must have treasured them very much ... after all, they spawned many stories I heard and now repeat in my own small way. But for now, I will let my father and mother speak for themselves.

Settle in folks, I'm not going to condense them ... how could I? For the record, Anen and Domingo Veloso were their best friends (Filipino) and they had a little girl ... who was later shown to me under the false name ... you guessed it, Sally. NOW I have that picture, too!
Grab a cup of coffee and enjoy! I think Mickey was a woman in the Philippines who was betrothed to Dad (kinda arranged ... only to be rearranged).

Letter #1
Operation Area at Sea 8:00 PM
Tuesday, 8 Nov. 60

Dearest Jessie,
I love you so much is my greeting. Secondly, is my warm regards and best wishes to your folks and loved ones. Also, please extend the same to Anen, Domingo and kiss Tina for me.
As for me, here I am scribbling and in deep thinking as to how I'll put into words the feeling never before I ever felt. There are times when I'll wake up in the middle of the night just enough to finish a cigarette and while doing so, you are there seemingly smiling at me as if giving me more hope that someday soon I'll be rewarded the answer to my pleas.
Ah! why do I have to start always about myself. Let's talk about you this time.
You are the first girl that ever induced me in writing consecutively. It's been my policy not to write much than I should. Mostly if I am only in the first step courting a girl. Why and how all these happens, I don't know. I seems to have change so much. You will recall that when we were in Panama City I told you about writing you and bouncing it back to me as I had it address James Isl. also during those hot days I was already tied up with Mickey (I thought). Yet not a single line ever come to her. Reason, I can't make up my mind as to whether I should sacrifice and dedicate my life to someone I don't even have half of the feeling I have now. Writing as far as I am concern is collective evidence. And so far, you've enough evidence to determine whether to say no or yes. Whatever it may be, my love is there and it'll never die.
Today is Tuesday and since there wouldn't be anything going on at the club here, I am wondering what you might be doing. I just hope you're enjoying yourself opposite of what I am doing at the moment and till we get back. I'll be staying aboard this ship till we get back for like I said before, I can't think of anything in town that will amuse or relax the feeling that's been the same since we departed Charleston.
Jessie, you are my destiny. I maybe a fool loving you knowing that I am so ugly and came from different race, but fool or no fool, I love you still.
We should be back to port tomorrow night and that means you'll get this and the rest I wrote while here at sea within a day.
Have the next watch, so will close now and please take good care of yourself. Think of me as I think of you.
Regards to our gang,
Iniibig kita,
Teddy

Letter #2
Little Creek, VA.
In Port - Wednesday
9 Nov. 1960

My Everdearest Jessie,
Don't ask me how I feel right now.. I am jumpy, moving around, so very happy, doesn't know what to do, hands sweating, my heart beating so fast and etc. Reason, I have four of your letters. And oh! I just don't know how and what to say. Forty-eight hours ago I was gloomy, uneasy and feel like flying just to see you, feel your warm embrace, kiss you and etc. And right now I seems to feel right merely because you spoke to me by means of ink and paper.
Whew! What a way to make a paragraph!? Almost forget to say hello to you and the usual love greetings I used to say first. Well, how's every little thing going on back there. Did you enjoyed the weekend? One of your letter sound like you are straining yourself in that job of yours. Tell your boss that once more he let you work on Sunday I'll punch him on the nose. Tell him it's a sin against the Commandments to work on Sunday.
Thinking about the last time I saw your mother and Dad, I feel as if I didn't even existed. Frankly, I tried to push my way through but Ron and Chuck was there conversing with your mother. I wanted so much to repeat the words I uttered which I don't believe your folks heard me. Even merely to say hello or good evening or something, but there went the inferiority complex which overcome my eagerness to say or do what I wanted. When I drove back that time, I keep calling myself, "you stupid jerk."
Reason why I told Anen that I'll be a good boy now was because I narrated to her what happened between Mickey and I. Needless for me to tell you again. You know everything from the start anyway.
It's a known fact to me that there are so many things that has to be considered, study, and learn about this love I am offering you.. I have looked back so many pages regarding my life and have as yet unfolded the true end as it will be. I know from the start I may cause you troubles from your folks, relatives, friends and what have you -- that is -- should you hear and answer my love. But yet all these sort of problems seems nothing to me. If we are really meant for each other, there's nothing underneath the sun that will be impossible.
On you letter dated 5th, once more you said you doesn't know how you will express your feelings towards me. Whatever it may be, even if you are just trying to keep silent just to torture me, I am hereby to take it and will wait even if it last til the end.
I meant to ask you that favor of ordering telephone for the Veloso's but every time I am with this pen my mind seems only one way and that's to express to you how I feel about you. So here I am to thank you. To me you are an angel that came from heaven to be able to make those lonely hearts like Anen and myself and Domingo to name few.
Much than I hate to tell you about our every day routine over here, 'cause when we got here on the fifth, everything has been military. On the 7th and the 8th we're out on the operation area and the same thing happens. There's the usual boring drills, like abandon ship, battle stations, fire and etc. One thing is good enough. We'll remain tied up until 17th and that means I would be able to receive your letters -- if you're still writing every day as I do.
Fourteen more days and few hours I should be back there with you.
Please take good care of yourself for me. I love you just like what you are.
Will close now with my very fond thought of you. Convey my love to the Veloso's.
Loving you,
Teddy
P.S. Give my love, regards and best wishes to your folks, and tell them I am looking forward of getting to know them better.
ditto

No comments:

Post a Comment